Smyrna, Ga. – Murata Americas has launched its DMT series of electrical double-layer capacitors (EDLCs). The EDLC devices offer long-term, high temperature reliability rated at five years at 70°C. An innovative design of the DMT series is said to enable high voltage handling (4.2V).
Other key features include a maximum operating temperature of 85°C, low resistance (130 mW of high-current, high-output charging and discharging), and a nominal capacitance range of 470 mF. Measuring 14- x 21-mm with a thickness of 3.5 mm, the DMT series targets applications such as solid state drive (SSD) and communication system backup, power assistance for smart meters, and energy-harvesting devices.
“The expansion of these markets is driving the demand for smaller, thinner, and low-resistance capacitors that assure high reliability in the event of power failures,” said Murata.
- High power output and high energy: 5.5V
- Compact and slim: 21.0- x 14.0- x 3.2-mm
- Wide operation temperature range from -30º C ~ +70º C
- Low ESR: 45mΩ –Stable ESR at lower temperatures
- ESR change @ -30º C < twice the nominal ESR
- Low leakage current –Typical leakage less than 5µA @ 96hrs
- Long cycle life – exceeding 100k cycles
- Leveling the high peak load up to hundreds of milliseconds
–Extend battery run time and cycle life
–Enable the use of lower power battery or reduction of the number of series connections
- Quick Charge and Discharge of High Energy
–Secure power line from large load change & power down
–Secure battery power down at lower temperatures
–Shorten the standby time
- Maintenance-free energy storage device
The EDLC technology is based on the company’s collaboration with CAP-XX. Murata acquired the supercapacitor technology from CAP-XX in 2008 to meet demand for devices with greater efficiency and functionality, said the company.
Availability: EDLC samples are available with pre-production quantities available with an approximate lead time of eight weeks.
Pricing: Pre-production quantities are priced in the range of $3.00 to $3.75, depending upon the volume.