Avnet, Inc. (NYSE:AVT) today announced results for the second quarter fiscal year 2014 ended December 28, 2013. Sales for the quarter ended December 28, 2013 increased 10.8% year over year to record sales of $7.4 billion; organic sales (as defined later in the document) grew 8.2% year over year and 8.1% in constant currency.
- Adjusted operating income of $263.2 million increased 15.2% and adjusted operating income margin of 3.6% increased 14 basis points year over year. Sequentially, adjusted operating income and adjusted operating income margin were up 31.9% and 41 basis points, respectively
- Adjusted net income of $163.9 million increased 12.6% and adjusted diluted earnings per share of $1.17 increased 11.4% year over year. Sequentially, adjusted net income and adjusted diluted earnings per share increased 30.1% and 30.0%, respectively, driven by the significant profit growth typically associated with the strong seasonal sales performance in the Technology Solutions (TS) segment
Rick Hamada, Chief Executive Officer, commented, "We are encouraged by the overall progress in our financial performance this quarter as we exceeded our original expectations for both revenue and earnings while also experiencing continued momentum in our year-over-year organic growth. In the December quarter, strong demand for IT infrastructure in our TS Americas region and continued growth in our Asia components business drove revenue above our expectations at both operating groups. Revenue grew 17.0% sequentially to a record $7.4 billion and year-over-year organic growth improved for a third consecutive quarter to 8.2%. The growth in revenue, combined with continued expense and working capital discipline, drove operating margins and return on working capital to 3.6% and 24.0%, respectively, our highest level in six quarters. With growth now evident in many of our served markets, we expect to build on this performance and leverage future growth into higher margins and returns across our portfolio."Reported sales increased 13.1% year over year to $4.2 billion while organic sales were up 11.4% in constant currency
- Sequential sales growth of 1.6% (in constant currency) was above the Company's expectations and the high end of normal seasonality due to better than expected growth in the high volume fulfillment business in Asia
- Operating income margin increased 24 basis points year over year to 4.1% primarily due to improvements in the Americas and Asia regions
- Working capital (defined as receivables plus inventory less accounts payables) increased 5.2% sequentially due to the acquisition of MSC and a decrease in payables as EM continued its strong inventory management discipline; excluding acquisitions and the impact of currency, inventory declined 4.9%
- Return on working capital (ROWC) increased 236 basis points year over year primarily due to higher operating income
Mr. Hamada added, "Our selective participation in certain high volume fulfillment engagements in EM Asia drove revenue above expectations as revenue in this region grew 5.7% sequentially and 16.0% year over year. This growth in turn drove EM's sequential organic sales growth above normal seasonality and year-over-year organic sales growth in constant currency increased to 11.4%. At the regional level, organic sales were up 13.0% in constant currency in EMEA, while Asia and the Americas were up 14.4% and 3.2%, respectively. This growth in revenue when combined with the impact of expense actions implemented in fiscal 2013 drove operating income up 20.1%, which resulted in operating income margin increasing 24 basis points to 4.1%. During the quarter, EM also completed its acquisition of MSC, which will provide new profitable growth opportunities in our EMEA region as we integrate the operations and realize the expected competitive benefits and synergies in the coming quarters. Given two consecutive quarters of year-over-year expansion in margins and returns, we feel confident that we can leverage our expected growth in our higher margin western regions and build on this performance in the seasonally stronger quarters of March and June at EM."