CHERRY, a registered brand of ZF Friedrichshafen AG, has announced plans to a launch a line of Energy Harvesting Wireless Switch products in late summer 2014. The first product scheduled for introduction is the energy harvesting generator, which will be available late in the first quarter of 2014. The compact generator provides a large energy output capability (330 µJ min).
Thanks to the compact design and low actuating force the wireless-switch-generator can be implemented into a variety of applications (e.g. in flat wall-mounted switches or miniature hand-held transmitters). The battery-less function guarantees the wireless switch is fully operational at any time, while making it environmentally friendly, said the company.
- Temperature Range: -40 t0 85°C
- Lifetime: Up to 1,000,000 operations
- Fatigue Strength: Max. 5g (DIN EN 60068-2)
- Shock Resistance: Max. 15g (DIN EN 60068-2)
- Radio Frequency: 868 MHz, 915 MHz or 2.4 GHz
- RF Distance (free field):300 meters at 868 MHz,
150 meters 902 MHz, or 10m at 2.4 GHz
- Dimensions - housing: 25 x 9.4 x 23.9 mm
- Dimensions - generator:20.3 x 7.3 x 15.8 mm
- Operating Force: Approximately 8N
- Typical Total Travel: 3.4 mm
- Energy Generated:Two times 0.2 up to 0.5 mWs
The energy harvesting generator is well suited for customers who are capable of designing and implementing their own actuation mechanics and RF circuits, said CHERRY. Energy management reference designs will be available.
A complete solution, including actuation mechanics, switch housing, etc., a snap-switch and rocker switch, along with receivers, is expected to be available in late July 2014.
CHERRY will showcase the energy harvesting wireless switch at the Light+Building show in Frankfurt, Germany, March 30 to April 4.
Availability: Evaluation kits are available to qualified customers through CHERRY component distributors.