Global electronic components distributor Digi-Key Corporation, the industry leader in electronic component selection, availability and delivery, today announced its continued efforts around sustainability and environmental management. The company has put into place a series of green initiatives including ISO 14001:2004 certification, environmentally friendly packaging, company-wide policies and best practices around reducing energy, waste, and paper usage, as well as increased recycling awareness.
Digi-Key has started a successful e-scrap program that breaks down unsellable products for the reclamation of metals to be used in future parts. The company also requires their vendors to sign a waiver stating their compliance with all current waste-reduction practices.
“Being a distributor of components and not a manufacturer is a relatively ‘clean’ business,” said Teri Ivaniszyn, Vice President, Operational Excellence. “However, we are still committed to doing our part to make sure our practices and operations keep our community clean and beautiful.”
ISO 14001:2004 addresses various aspects of environmental management. It provides practical tools for companies and organizations looking to identify and control their environmental impact and constantly improve their environmental performance. Digi-Key started the new ISO process in August of 2012, passed a mandatory audit in March and received the official ISO 14001:2004 certificate last week.
In addition to achieving the new ISO 14001:2004 certification, some of Digi-Key’s other green initiatives include:
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) compliant
- Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) compliant
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certified by downsizing shipping package sizes
- Using Geami recycled packaging protection material
- Encouraging employee recycling of plastic and aluminum
- Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC) member – committed to giving customers more information on recycling their Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), and Small Sealed Lead rechargeable batteries
- Emissions code standard compliance to properly manage energy and power usage
“Digi-Key’s employees and environmental team put in a lot of effort and have been a real asset in receiving the ISO certification and reducing waste,” noted Ivaniszyn. “In a rural area surrounded by clean air, trees, lakes and farmlands, having a small carbon footprint helps us focus on our important initiatives.”
About Digi-Key Corporation
Digi-Key Corporation, based in Thief River Falls, Minn., is a global, full-service provider of both prototype/design and production quantities of electronic components, offering more than three million products from over 650 quality name-brand manufacturers. With over one million products in stock and an impressive selection of online resources, Digi-Key is committed to stocking the broadest range of electronic components in the industry and providing the best service possible to its customers. Additional information and access to Digi-Key’s broad product offering is available at www.digikey.com.