Dallas, Tex. – Texas Instruments (TI) has launched its SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3100 and CC3200 platforms for Internet of Things (IoT) applications. The SimpleLink Wi-Fi family is the first in a series of low-power SimpleLink wireless connectivity solutions for the IoT. The Internet-on-a-chip family allows customers to easily add embedded Wi-Fi and Internet to a variety of home, industrial and consumer electronics, said TI.
- Touted as the industry's lowest power consumption for battery-operated devices with a low power radio and advanced low power modes.
- Flexibility to use any microcontroller (MCU) with the CC3100 solution or leverage the CC3200's integrated programmable ARM Cortex-M4 MCU, allowing customers to add their own code.
- Easy development for the IoT with quick connection, cloud support and on-chip Wi-Fi, Internet and robust security protocols, requiring no prior Wi-Fi experience to get a product connected.
- The ability to simply and securely connect their devices to Wi-Fi using a phone or tablet app or a web browser with multiple provisioning options including SmartConfig Technology, WPS and AP mode.
The CC3100 and CC3200 with fully integrated RF and analog allow developers to create an easy to use system by placing the device directly on a PCB. The SimpleLink Wi-Fi family comes with cloud connectivity support through TI's IoT cloud ecosystem members. TI also provides various kits and software tools, a certified TI module (coming soon), reference designs, sample applications, development documentation, and TI E2E community support.
TI also offers LaunchPad evaluation kits and BoosterPack plug-in modules. A LaunchPad evaluation kit is available for the CC3200 solution. The SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3100 BoosterPack plus the Advanced Emulation BoosterPack allows customers to connect to any MCU, including the ultra-low-power MSP430 LaunchPad.
If customers have not selected an MCU or want to get started quickly, they can begin software development with a PC and the CC3100 BoosterPack plus the Advanced Emulation BoosterPack using SimpleLink Studio, said TI.
Availability: SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3100 and CC3200 solutions are available now through TI eStore and TI authorized distributors.
- CC3200 LaunchPad is available for $29.99
- CC3100 BoosterPack + CC31XXEMUBOOST + MSP-EXP430F5529LP bundle is available for $49.99
- CC3100BOOST + CC31XXEMUBOOST bundle is available for $36.99
CC3100 and CC3200 production units will be available in July and will be part of TI's sample program.
- CC3100 – $6.70 per 1,000 units
- CC3200 – Starting at $7.99 per 1,000 units
- CC3100 and CC3200 modules will be available in 3Q