Irvine, Calif., -- Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the industry's most powerful 5G WiFi (802.11ac) 2x2 Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) combo chip for mobile devices. The BCM4358 delivers unparalleled throughput, Bluetooth co-existence performance and indoor location accuracy, enabling OEMs to design high-end smartphones and tablets with twice the Wi-Fi performance. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Today's content-centric consumer spends an average of 4-5 hours a day on Wi-Fi1. With 650 Mbps Wi-Fi data throughput and 50 percent better coexistence performance with Bluetooth, consumers can download content two times faster, stream videos with less buffering and connect to multiple Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices concurrently (e.g. listen to music while playing a game) without interference issues. In addition, improved location accuracy down to one meter will allow new and better indoor location-based services to become viable.
"The combination of 5G WiFi and 2x2 MIMO unlocks the full potential of today's smartphones and tablets. These technologies are becoming de facto requirements for connectivity in high-end mobile devices," said David Recker, Broadcom Senior Director, Wireless Connectivity. "With the BCM4358 we are addressing critical multi-radio interference challenges while setting a new bar for performance that reflects Broadcom's continued commitment to be first to deliver the most powerful solutions in the market."
"Broadcom was the first chip vendor to mass produce a 2X2 MIMO combo chip for smartphones and continues to drive adoption of 802.11ac in all consumer electronic segments," said Philip Solis, Research Director, ABI Research. "This second-generation innovation demonstrates Broadcom's continued and substantial lead in 2x2 MIMO technology."
- 867 Mbps PHY rate/80MHz channel bandwidth
- Enhanced Wi-Fi and Bluetooth coexistence performance
- Low power PCIe host interface for WLAN; UART for Bluetooth
- Combines two 802.11ac streams at 80MHz channel bandwidth via PCIe interface
- Support for Android, Windows and Chrome operating systems
- Integrated Power Amplifier (PA), Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) and internal TR switch
- Transmit beamforming and Low Density Parity Check Codes (LDPC)
- High accuracy Round Trip Time (RTT) based indoor location technology
- Broadcom TurboQAM® implements the highest data rate in 2.4 GHz
- First to enable Angle-of-Arrival direction finding technology on smartphone
The BCM4358 is now in production and will be shipping in mobile devices available in Q3 2014.