Sunnyvale, Calif. -- Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), a global leader in embedded systems solutions and Sensoplex, a world leader in the design and production of high performance wearable devices for sports, fitness, wellness and mHealth companies, today announced a partnership to jointly develop and market an evaluation and development kit platform (EVK and SDK) that will allow customers to quickly develop innovative wearable applications that can combine inertial, bio and environmental sensors, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and ANT+ wireless protocols with ultra low-power processing. The companies will demonstrate the solution at CES, South Hall 2, Spansion booth MP25471.
The platform from Spansion and Sensoplex offers outstanding performance for wearable devices and can greatly reduce time to market. The manufacturing-ready platform can be mass-produced as is or rapidly customizable for different form factors and specifications.
The platform includes the following:
- Spansion FM3 microcontrollers with low-power management for battery-powered applications
- Spansion FL-S serial Flash memory at 256Mb, which is ideal for small packaging and low power to store raw or processed sensor data.
- Sensoplex PDI air interface for wireless data communications over BLE or ANT+
- Sensoplex APIs for customer firmware development
- Sample apps for Android and iOS with source code to aid in quick app development
- Additional Sensoplex design and manufacturing services
- FCC and CE certification, speeding time to market
"Spansion's portfolio of low-power and high-performance MCUs, flash memory and energy harvesting products are uniquely suited for our customers to provide a broad range of competitive solutions for the wearable market, " said Dhiraj Handa, senior vice president and general manager, Spansion's Multi-Market Microcontroller Business. "Our partnership with Sensoplex provides key hardware and SDK building blocks that enable customers to deploy a wide range of wearable products while greatly reducing complex system-level design and time to market."
"Our passion is to create tools and platforms that accelerate our customers' ability to bring the greatest products to the market," said Hamid Farzaneh, Sensoplex Founder and CEO. "Our partnership with Spansion will deliver new levels of innovation in the wearables market."