Dallas, Tex. -- Texas Instruments (TI) has claimed the industry's first smart, high-side power switch with programmable current limit. Using the TPS1H100-Q1, designers can drive various loads in powertrain, body-electronics safety and driver-information systems. The highly integrated smart power switch can replace discrete components in powertrain and automotive body electronics, saving board space, reducing bill of materials, and simplifying design.
The TPS1H100-Q1 also offers 20 percent higher current-sense accuracy versus the competition to enable intelligent, real-time diagnosis of its loading conditions, said TI. Key features and benefits include:
- Highest accuracy current sense: 5-mA current-sense accuracy gives designers the ability to leverage sophisticated load-checking to adjust the driving profile, detect system deterioration, locate problem areas, or judge circuit conditions.
- Programmable current limit: The TPS1H100-Q1 is the first to provide adjustable current-limit capability to allow flexible control.
- High-avalanche energy-dissipation capability: A high-voltage avalanche structure eliminates Zener transient voltage suppressors and free-wheel diodes to address voltage surging for inductive load recirculation.
- Automotive Electronics Council (AEC) Q100-012 Grade A compliance: Guarantees zero failure for lifetime reliability in automotive and industrial environments.
The automotive BCM reference design addresses common design challenges such as load driving, condition diagnostics and fault detection. Designers can use this TI Designs reference design to design door locks, window lifts, seat heaters, lamps and LEDs, as well as heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC).
Availability: The TPS1H100-Q1 is available in a 14-pin, 5.0-mm x 6.4-mm thermally-enhanced thin shrink small-outline package (HTSSOP).
Pricing: Suggested pricing for the TPS1H100-Q1 starts at $0.80 in quantities of 1,000. The TPS1H100EVM evaluation module (EVM) allows customers to evaluate the TPS1H100-Q1 for resistive, capacitive and inductive load layout and is available for $29.
- Learn more about TI's power switch portfolio.
- Order TPS1H100-Q1 samples.
- Read more about a new approach for inrush current clamping with smart, high-side switches.
- Get support in the TI E2E™ Community Automotive Forum
- Follow what TI motor drive and control experts have to say on our blog: Behind the Wheel.