Irvine, Calif. - Broadcom Corp. has extended its StrataGX portfolio with a new family of secure microcontrollers (MCUs) that delivers advanced security and integrated NFC for a variety of low-power connected devices. The BCM58100 family is designed for a variety of embedded applications including mPOS terminals, personal computers, security systems, and home automation, including Internet of Things (IoT) products.
Touted as the industry's first secure MCU to integrate NFC for tap-to-access, tap-to-pair and tap-to-pay applications in a growing number of products, the BCM58100 enables devices like PCs, home automation products and mPOS terminals to support payment, access and control applications via smartphones in a secure environment. The device also simplifies system design, reduces footprint and lowers cost for OEMs, said Broadcom.
With the global installed base of NFC-enabled smartphones forecast to reach over 2 billion by 2018, according to Business Insider Intelligence, NFC delivers significant opportunities for chip companies, OEMs and developers in a variety of market segments, said Broadcom.
"We are seeing substantial adoption of NFC-capable devices and expect the global installed base of mPOS terminals to grow to well over 50 million units by 2018," said John Heggestuen, senior research analyst, Business Insider Intelligence, in a statement. "New developments like Apple Pay will be a significant driver of NFC-enabled payment terminals as well as a major catalyst for mPOS deployments, especially within the small to medium-size retailer segment where the cost effectiveness of mPOS terminals is particularly attractive."
The BCM58100 offers a high level of security to protect sensitive consumer data from threats at the physical and network layer. The BroadSAFEarchitecture offers tamper protection and encryption as well as secure storage and processing of both card information and biometric user data such as fingerprint, iris, and facial templates to safeguard against attacks. The BCM58100 is compliant with Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) and also ensures that end products achieve stringent Payment Card Industry (PCI) and Europay, MasterCard, and Visa (EMV) certifications for an added layer of security.
- BroadSAFEsecurity architecture including tamper protection, encryption, multi-factor authentication and secure storage and processing for both card information and biometric user data
- NFC compliant reader
- Integrated EMV smartcard and magstripe (MSR) readers
- Low-power ARM® Cortex M3 processor with up to 250MHz and advanced power management for longer battery life
- 512KB static random access memory (SRAM) to eliminate the need for external RAM
- Tightly coupled software environment with Broadcom's Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) products
- Integrated audio jack I/F support
- System I/O integration including USB H/D, SMBus, UARTs and SPIs
- 10x10mm footprint compatible package for small form factor designs
Availability: The BCM58100 is now sampling.