Aliso Viejo, Calif. -- Microsemi Corporation (Nasdaq: MSCC), a leading provider of semiconductor solutions differentiated by power, security, reliability and performance, today announced its DIGI-G4, the company's latest DIGI Optical Transport Network (OTN) processor enabling the transition to 400G OTN switching solutions is available in mass production. With multiple carriers' trials underway, Microsemi is enabling the industry to begin the 400G capacity upgrade in metro transport networks.
"We have been working very closely with some of the world's leading original equipment manufacturers to complete Carrier qualification of their 400G OTN designs," said Babak Samimi, vice president and business unit manager of Microsemi, Communications business unit. "This year we will see our DIGI-G4 deployed in networks worldwide as the key technology for driving the transition to 400G OTN switching, in addition to enabling a new wave of flexible optical transport infrastructure that is software-defined networking (SDN)-ready and delivers on the security needs being demanded for cloud-connectivity powered by our embedded encryption engine."
Microsemi's DIGI-G4 enables customers to double the 100G OTN port density on their optical transport systems, while achieving a 50 percent reduction in power per 100G port. In addition, the company's customers are realizing significant time-to-market benefit from re-using their investment in DIGI software from existing 100G OTN designs with DIGI-120G shipping today into service provider and hyperscale data center interconnect (DCI) networks.
According to market research firm Infonetics, service providers worldwide are scrambling to scale their OTNs to keep up with unprecedented growth in Internet traffic. As a result, 100G dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) port deployments are forecast to grow at more than 40 percent annually through to 2019. Microsemi's DIGI-G4 is a critical component for the new generation of transport platforms solving 400G OTN switching on P-OTPs and ultra-dense 100G port cards on DCI platforms as key drivers behind the $11.4 billion forecasted capital spend on OTN optical equipment in 2016.
DIGI-G4's differentiated offering:
- Industry's first single-chip 4x100G solution for OTN switched line cards
- Integrated 100G gearbox for direct connect to CFP2, CFP4 and QSFP28 transceivers
- Industry's highest density 10G, 40G and 100G multi-service support, including Ethernet, storage, IP/MPLS and SONET/SDH
- Industry's first sub-wavelength OTN encryption solution to secure the cloud
- Industry's first 25G granularity flexible framer to DSP interface providing scalable line-rates to match the programmable modulation capabilities found in next-generation coherent DSPs
- Multi-chip Interlaken interconnect solutions for scalable compact chassis data center interconnect applications
- High performance OTN-SDK with adapter layer software accelerates customer time-to-market
- Microsemi offers a breadth of products for the OTN equipment market. Complementing the DIGI-G4 OTN processor are:
- High performance, compact drivers for 100G-400G optical modules, for metro and long-haul applications using smaller footprint surface mount technology (SMT) packaging;
- ZL30169, a high precision any-rate clock translator simplifying clocking design on the line card; and
- SmartFusion2 system-on-chip (SoC) field programmable gate array (FPGA), which can interface to DIGI-G4 to offload OAM control processing.
The new DIGI-G4 reference design, which target DataCenter Interconnect, uses Microsemi timing solutions, demonstrating market share and content growth opportunities as a result of the company's most recent acquisition. With design updates under way, Microsemi's DIGI-G4 evaluation kits will also feature the company's timing devices beginning Q3 2016.
Microsemi's DIGI-G4 is available for purchase orders now. For more information, visit www.microsemi.com/DIGI-G4info. For further product details, email email@example.com.
About Microsemi's Product Portfolio for Communications
Microsemi is a premier supplier of high value-add semiconductor, system and services for the enterprise, data center and telecom markets. Microsemi products enable customers to build secure, reliable and low power systems that can meet stringent requirements of next generation communication networks. Customers leverage Microsemi technologies to drive innovation in a range of applications including Broadband Access aggregation and gateways (FTTx, FTTdp, GPON, EPON, G.fast and DOCSIS3.1), Service provider Packet Optical Transport Networks (OTN), Carrier Ethernet Switches & Routers, Security gateways and firewalls; Wireless infrastructure (LTE-Advanced, small cells, microwave and millimeter wave backhaul), Enterprise Networks (Core and aggregation switches, Enterprise access routers, Wi-Fi and small cell controller and Wi-Fi access points) and Home Automation Network (enabling smart IoT products).
Microsemi's comprehensive communications portfolio offers market-leading technology and solutions in multiple product categories including high accuracy timing and synchronization systems, software, components and services; Carrier Ethernet switches, Framer and PHY, power-efficient and multi-standard compliant Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) systems and components, OTN Processors & Carrier Ethernet / OTN framers, G.hn, G.fast and xDSL line drivers; voice and audio intelligence, lowest power FPGAs with highest security and single event upset (SEU) immune fabric, security portfolio of hardware and software products including advanced multi-layer encryption, sophisticated key management, secure authentication with anti-tamper and anti-cloning capabilities; 100 Gigabits optical drivers and the most integrated Wi-Fi front-end modules (FEM). For more information, visit http://www.microsemi.com/applications/communications.