As 2016 winds down, EPSNews takes a look at some of the biggest stories of the year. What we discovered is that many of the most-read articles focus on strategies at some of the largest distributors and manufacturers of electronic components, as well as supply and pricing trends for commodity devices, which are always a popular topic for buyers of electronic components. The top 10 articles are based on the highest page views in 2016.
Several of our most popular stories over the past year focus on the supply base – what’s happening at the largest electronic-component distributors and manufacturers. In fact, three of the top 10 most-read stories were about Avnet, which went through a period of tremendous change in the second half of the year. Buyers also wanted to keep informed about top suppliers in several key component markets – semiconductors, sensors and power supplies.
Not surprisingly, at least one IoT story made the top 10 ranking. Semiconductors, alone, for IoT applications is forecast to reach $12.8 billion in 2016, increasing nearly 19 percent compared to 2015, according to IC Insights.
EPSNews readers were also interested in pricing and lead-time information as well as supply issues across component categories. Two of the biggest issues for any electronic component buyer are pricing and availability. Purchasers spend nearly 5 ½ hours per week price shopping for commodities, according to an EPSNews purchasing survey. This is matched by spending time solving logistics and inventory challenges.
Here are the top 10 most popular articles of 2016:
- Avnet: Of all Companies Why Premier Farnell?
- Update: Prepare for Tight Supply of Mil-Spec Connectors
- Supply Shortage of NAND Flash Worsens in Q4
- Avnet: Too Big to Change?
- Top 10 MEMS Sensor Suppliers for Consumer/Mobile Products
- Intel, Not ARM, Will Rule the IoT World
- Global Exec Ed Smith Leaves Avnet
- Top 10 Power Supply Rankings Shift
- Samsung Smartphone Recall: A Personal Story
- Top 20 Semiconductor Companies Boost Sales by 7% in Q2
If you scroll down a bit further, you’ll see stories ranked from number 11 to 20. These popular stories also focus on strategies at key supply-chain partners including Avnet and Newark. Managing supply chain risks were also important to many readers throughout the year, including conflict mineral rules in the U.S. and the European Union.
- Avnet Doubles Down on Temporary Turmoil; Will it Work?
- EU Agrees on Conflict Minerals Proposal
- Top 10 Electronics Supply Chain Risks
- Top 50 Distributors: Market Leaders
- Electronics Distribution No Longer a Two-Horse Race
- Newark Electronics: A Retrospective
- Avnet Sacks Hamada, Names Amelio Interim CEO
- TI Tops Analog IC Ranking
- Avnet CEO Search Challenge: Internal vs. External Candidates
- Samsung’s Other Battery Supply Chain Problem
Happy New Year and thank you for your continued support and readership!