Thank you for using EPSNews. We wrote this policy to help you understand what information we collect, how we use it, and what choices you have regarding your information. Because we’re an online news and advertising company, some of the concepts below are a little technical, but we’ve tried our best to explain things in a simple and clear way. We welcome your questions and comments on this policy.
What information do we collect?
We collect information in two ways:
1) When you give it to us or give us permission to obtain it.
When you sign up for or use our products, you voluntarily give us certain information. This can include your name, profile photo, comments, likes, email address you used to sign up, and any other information you provide us.
You also may give us permission to access your information in other services – for example, you may link your Facebook, Twitter or other social media accounts to EPSNews, which allows other members to obtain information from those accounts (e.g., your friends or contacts). The information that is obtained from those services often depends on your settings or their privacy policies, so be sure to check what those are.
2) We get technical information when you use our products.
These days, whenever you use a website, mobile application, or other Internet service, there’s certain information that almost always gets created and recorded in an automated way. The same is true when you use our products, and here are some of the types of information we collect in this way:
Log Data. When you use EPSNews, our servers automatically record information about your interaction with our content (“log data”), including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or your mobile app sends when you use it to access EPSNews. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web page you were visiting before you came to EPSNews, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, and how you used EPSNews.
Device Information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you’re using EPSNews on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you’re using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or an Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
How do we use the information we collect?
We use the information we collect to provide our content and products to you and make them better, develop new products, and protect EPSNews, our members, and our sponsors.
We also use the information we collect to offer you customized content – including helping you discover sponsors, products or services you might like or provide you with tailored advertising. For example, if you’ve indicated that you’re interested in mobility products, we may suggest specific advertisers, sponsors, products and services.
Since this site is generally funded through advertising and sponsorships, accessing any content from a sponsor or advertiser on our website will automatically provide that sponsor with personally identifiable information you submitted through the registration process. This means these sponsors and advertisers will have access to your name, email address, zip code, etc. and they may choose to send you marketing content not directly affiliated with EPSNews.
We also use the information we collect to:
- Send you updates (such as when certain activities happen on EPSNews), newsletters, marketing materials and other information that may be of interest to you.
- Respond to your questions or comments. Share basic information with our sponsors so they may respond to your inquiries, questions, requests or comments.
The information we collect may be “personally identifiable” (meaning it can be used to specifically identify you as a unique person) or “non-personally identifiable” (meaning it can’t be used to specifically identify you). We use both types of information, and combinations of both types, as described above. We may use or store information wherever EPSNews does business, including countries outside your own.
What choices do you have about your information?
Our goal is to give you simple and meaningful choices over your information. If you have a EPSNews account, many of the choices you have on EPSNews are built directly into the product or your account settings. For example, you can:
- Access and change information in your profile page at any time
- Request that we close your account at any time. When your account is closed, we’ll deactivate it and remove your content from EPSNews. We may retain archived copies of your information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes (including to help address fraud and spam).
In addition, you may have choices available to you through the device or software you use to access EPSNews. For example:
- The browser you use may provide you with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage.
- Your mobile device may provide you with choices around how and whether data is shared with us.
To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by the device or software provider.
How is your information shared?
The instances where we may share your personal information include:
- When we have your consent. This includes sharing information with other services (like Facebook or Twitter) when you’ve chosen to link to your EPSNews account to those services or publish your activity on EPSNews to them.
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or EPSNews; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- We may engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy.
We may also share aggregated or basic contact information with our sponsors if you have viewed or accessed their information. For example, we may tell a sponsor of EPSNews that you have accessed their videos or presentation materials, etc.
How do we make changes to this policy?
We may change this policy from time to time, and if we do we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use EPSNews after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are significant, we may provide more prominent notice or obtain your consent as required by law.